Monday, December 3, 2012

Isabella's Lovely Home Birth.




My first daughter Isabella was born 6 days past her due date on August 29, 2009.  It was a blissful and very enjoyable 6 hour birth. My birthing began at home at 2pm.  I was sitting at the dining room table writing in my pregnancy journal when I heard a loud pop followed by a movie like gush of water.  Going into labour naturally was so exciting!  I really wanted to avoid a hospital induction knowing that it may cause a chain of other medical interventions.   

I called my husband Armando at work and then my Midwife to let her know that my water broke.  She said it may be a while for the contractions to come and to call back when they get 5 minutes apart lasting 1 minute for 1 hour.  My contractions came while on the phone and I instinctively knew things would progress quickly.  When I got off the phone I took a moment to honour and acknowledge the beginning of the birthing process.  I established a long, deep breath, and played the Birth Affirmations CD.  My contractions were mild, close and consistent coming every 7 minutes.  I could talk and walk through them.  My friend came over to pick up my dog Ronin for the night and we had a lovely chat.  She thought it was funny that we were hanging out while I was in labour.  She wished me well, took Ronin and left.  Armando arrived soon after and we started to organize our home.  It was a perfect late summer day.  There was a lot of sunshine coming into the room where we've set up the pool, and a warm breeze blowing in through the open windows.

Two hours later at 4pm I noticed my contractions began to intensify and when timed they were 5 minutes apart.  I was moving into active labour as I could no longer walk or talk through them.  I got into a shower.  Armando called Diane, the Midwife, and then finished setting up. We joked how we left it all to the last minute at almost 41 weeks.  I guess we both thought early labour would take hours, maybe even days, giving us enough time to get everything ready.  As Armando tried to remember how to set up the bed, I continued to relax with each surge, breathing, taking my awareness within, and listening to my body while feeling completely relaxed and comfortable.  He ended up making the bed look and feel perfect and then somehow found time to make me a delicious iced tea, which I was sipping throughout the labour.  What an amazing guy!  


I was still in the shower when Diane arrived.  I got out and she did a cervical exam and told me that I was 4 cm dilated.  She advised that I get in the pool, which my husband had to finish filling up with pots of hot water as I used up all the water when I took the shower!  I laboured in the pool for the next 2 hours, listening to my HypnoBirthing CDs, which were absolutely phenomenal in keeping me calm, relaxed and in control.  I was on my hands and knees, rocking my pelvis, circling my hips and leaning against the pool's edge.  I thought active labour would feel unpleasant or uncomfortable but instead it was quite the contrary.  I was in heaven, dancing with my body, breathing with each surge, enjoying energy pouring through my mind, body and soul.  I was very relaxed and comfortable the entire time.  Armando was right behind me, whispering words of encouragement and love as well as massaging my back and shoulders.  He poured water on my back and my belly.  It felt so good and sensual!  I absolutely loved labouring in water.


I was letting my body do its work while focusing on breathing through my surges.  The more I relaxed, the better I felt.  Relaxation is the key as it encourages the production of two powerful hormones: oxytocin and endorphins, which are responsible for making us feel good.  Due to profoundly deep relaxation through breath, movement, HypnoBirthing techniques and my husband's loving presence, I was now experiencing pure bliss.  Each surge felt better than the one before.  It made my whole body radiate with love.


Two hours later at 6 pm I felt the energy in my body shift.  I felt an overwhelming urge to push.  Diane did another cervical exam and I was now 10 cm dilated.  I could not believe it!  I was expecting for surges to get much more intense or at least somewhat uncomfortable  especially through transition, but again there was none of that.  All I felt was bliss, making transition my favourite part of labour.  When I began to feel "pushy", Diane, who was my secondary midwife (my primary, Lucia, had a weekend off and all other Burlington Midwives were at births!), called a midwife named Wendy from Oakville whom I've never met.  She arrived shortly after and I immediately knew that I'd like her as she had a calming and peaceful presence.  Both Diane and Wendy commented on how well I was handling the surges.


I proceeded to push on my hands and knees in the birthing pool, wanting to deliver my baby in water.  However, I felt I needed to work with gravity more and so  Diane proposed I get out and use a birthing stool that she had set up nearby.  I really liked it.  Being out of the water helped me to use gravity in a more efficient way as I was now in an upright position.  Armando was standing behind me, massaging my shoulders, whispering loving words, reminding me that my body and baby were working in perfect harmony.  His encouragement was wonderful as it took me a while to get the hang of pushing.   I transitioned onto my bed and tried a few different positions there.  I finally settled into semi-sitting with Armando holding me from behind.  It was so great to be able to lean on him, knowing that he was there to support me, not only physically, but emotionally, too.  His HypnoBirthing practice made him a perfect birthing companion.  He knew exactly what to say at the right time.  He has helped me to actualize the calm and perfect birth experience that we both wanted.


It took me to 2 hours to move my baby down and out and she was finally born at 8:20 pm.  I caught her with the help of my midwives and I placed her on my chest.  She was just perfect, very calm and alert, weighing 7lbs 11oz.  She did not cry much at all and immediately began to pink up.  We whispered the words of welcome, embraced her and met her gaze as she looked into our eyes for the very first time.   There was so much love in the room, and so much happiness.  It was the most amazing moment in my life.  As Armando and I kissed, we felt complete, at last united with our little girl.


I felt so good after having Isabella at home naturally.  It was such a positive and empowering experience.  I remember saying "I can do this again!"  It was such an incredible accomplishment,one that made me feel like I can do anything.






Few seconds after Isabella's birth.  
Feeling alert and energized.


Bonding with our beautiful baby Bella.


Isabella Avalon  7lbs 11oz

No comments:

Post a Comment