Monday, December 10, 2012

Ivy's Beautiful Water Birth.



Ivy was born 8 days past her due date on Wednesday, September 5, 2012.  Just like her sister she was born at home with one small difference-she was born in water.

I experienced prodromal labour or false labour for two days leading up to her birth. I had mild contractions every 10 min apart, which came and went.  I know I wasn’t really progressing after my midwife’s assessment on Tuesday afternoon.  I was still 2 cm dilated since my last check on Friday.  I’ve been waiting to go into labour for a week now. I tried to gently nudge my body with acupuncture, spicy foods, walking, etc to no avail.  I even had a stretch and sweep and still nothing. While I know that babies are born when they're ready it still doesn't make it any easier to go over. I had to trust the innate wisdom of my body, my baby and the process of birth.

During prodromal labour I alternated rest with activity.  I ate Thai food and watched movies with my husband Armando who took time off work to be with me.  I had a visit with Angie my Doula who kept me in good spirits and reassured me that sooner or later my baby would come.  I also had a visit with my friend Michelle who gave me a lovely reflexology treatment for labour induction.  I talked and texted with my dear friend Lara who kept things in perspective for me.  I was surrounded with wise, loving women and that’s what made a world of difference to me.

True labour came on Wednesday, September 5th.  It all started when I woke up at 7:30am although I felt few strong surges in my sleep.  I noticed that my contractions came regularly every 7 min.  I told Armando “this is how I remember labour feels like!”He was as excited as I was.  I took a shower and leaned against the wall with each surge.  It felt incredible to finally be in labour.  Even though it became a little harder to talk through contractions I was still comfortable and at ease.  I used HypnoBirthing ®  breathing and relaxation techniques as I got ready and put on make up.  It was funny as I had to pause every time I had a surge.  It took a while but I finally did it.  Armando made me breakfast.  I wasn't very hungry but ate it anyway for the sake of energy.

I then listened to my HypnoBirthing ®  Cds as I sat on a birthing ball.  I was lost in the surges, which came and went like waves in the ocean.  They were more profound than with Bella but manageable.  At 10 am Armando checked on me and noticed that I was now moaning through contractions.  He exclaimed "this definitely is it!" He timed few surges and told me that they came every 5 minutes.  He gave me a nice light touch massage, kissed and hugged me, and offered words of encouragement.  It was lovely to once again share this experience together uninterrupted, in the comfort of our own home, on this beautiful sunny Indian Summer day.

An hour later Armando suggested to text Angie.  I gave her an update and asked her to join us.  Meanwhile Armando filled up the pool with warm water.  I really looked forward to labouring in water.  Research shows that the use of water in labour helps to cope with labour sensations and makes it for a gentler, less traumatic birth.  I got in the pool shortly after 11 am.  My surges now were coming every 3 minutes. Armando called our midwives and they said they would be right over.

I submerged into the warm water and it felt delightful just like it did when I was labouring with Bella.  The water was soothing and inviting.  It immediately helped me to relax even more.  Any tension I had melted away.  Angie arrived at noon as I  breathed through a contraction.  She sat down by the pool and smiled at me.  I was delighted to see her and chatted with her for a bit in between surges.  I felt comfortable sitting upright with my knees bent and my feet to the side.  It all felt very casual.  There was no rush just a sense of ease on this lazy afternoon.  Angie found a HypnoBirthing ®  track that I really liked and told me how great I was doing. 

Lucia my primary midwife and her student Laura arrived at 12:30pm.  After an initial assessment she cheerfully told me that I was 8 cm dilated.  I was in total disbelief.  In my wildest dreams I couldn't have imagined that I would be this far along.  I thought I was around 4-5 cm.  I somehow got myself through active labour and transition while putting on make up and sitting on the ball? I was amazed once again with the effectiveness of HypnoBirthing ® .  

I continued to labour in the pool while Lucia and Laura set up their equipment. They also called Sarah my secondary midwife who came soon after. The surges now were almost on top of each other, paramount and robust.  I was still coping well. I felt I wanted to push for a few contractions now and so Lucia told me to go with that sensation.  It was now 1:15pm.  I asked her to break my waters since they were still intact. 

After it was done I moved into a semi sitted position.  Armando was right outside the pool supporting me.  It was the same position as with Bella only this time it was in the pool instead of my bed.  My body remembered what to do.  I focused on bringing my baby down with all of the wise women encompassing the pool.  It was remarkable.  I got so much encouragement and support.  Angie in her angelic voice reminded me not to be afraid and Lucia encouraged me to trust my body.  Armando whispered to my ear that I have done it before and I could do it again just as easily. 

It was intense yet exhilarating at the same time.  I exclaimed “let’s do this!” and worked actively with my body.  Ivy was born 20 minutes later at 1:45pm into the warm and luxurious waters.  The feeling was incredible!  Ivy was placed on my chest and we embraced her.  She was 8lbs of pure perfection!  She was calm and alert and snuggled right in. Ivy just like her sister was born into calm and loving environment.  Her birth was so gentle. I’d do it a hundred times over if I could. Birthing in water felt so natural. It was effortless and buoyant. We couldn't be happier with the way it unfolded. We instantly fell in love with our new baby girl just as Bella did when she met her the very next day.


Few minutes after Ivy's birth.  Daddy cuts the cord.




Peaceful with Mama.




Ivy Elizabeth 8lbs-first exam right on our bed.





My amazing support team-Angie, Lucia, Armando and Sarah (Laura took the photo.)




Isabella and Ivy.  September 2012




No comments:

Post a Comment